Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Toughest Job Just Got Tougher

Ok, so if the mental & emotianal stress of Peace Corps was hard before, it just got harder. In the past week I moved 6 huge pieces of luggage on and off buses 6 times went 3 hours of my way to turn around and go back not to mention that Dar was a million degrees and 100% humidity. I'm not exaggerating. We were all totally soaked w/ sweat and we weren't even moving around. Then we had to lug bags around - fun fun. Anyway, that's not even the tough part. Saturday I went to my new house and things were ok. I woke up Sunday morning and wondered if I could get out of bed. I was an emotional wreck. Thank goodness for text messaging and 100 texts for 400 shillings (40 cents) per day. Friends of mine got me out of bed and going for the day and I felt much better. I spent the day w/ my 2nd headmaster (like a vice principal). His family fed me, he showed me around town (for hours on end) fed me again, and then took me home. Now I'm back in town with current volunteers and they're showing us around (more) and we're getting to buy things we need. Peace Corps didn't give us nearly enough money - I spent my entire settling in allowance on furniture for my house. I had the basics, but no place to put clothes, kitchen stuff, books, etc. Basically my stuff is all still in bags. I will hopefully get my new furniture Wed. and can move in. Now I'm spending money I brought from home & money I saved the past few months. I have no access to my bank at home because my ATM card had to be replaced, so I'm hoping my money holds out. We have no idea when we get paid again - yes, we've asked, but no one really seems to know & just keep telling us to ask someone else. Tough, tougher, tougher. I guess if it was easy everyone would do it.