Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Home Sweet Home

My house is half of a duplex. There are 2 male teachers who live on the other side of my duplex. They seem nice, but play music loudly 24/7. That could be a problem. My house has a livingroom w/ a couch, coffee table, & two chairs. My bedroom has a bed and a desk/chair. My kitchen has a coffee table, pots, utensils, and buckets. My bathroom has a shower, spigot, and toilet. Yes, there's running water in the bathroom. The water is cold, though, so I'll only be using the shower on warmer afternoons! Don't worry, I'll still bathe! I have a solar shower I can hang and put warm water in. My spare room has NOTHING in it. It won't for a long while as I have no money to furnish it. I hope to at least get a mattress at some point for visitors. Otherwise it's the couch or sharing a bed w/ me! Actually, I did hang a laundry line in there as it's the rainy season here so drying clothes outside won't be happening. Saturday I managed to buy 2 jikos (stoves) one kerosene and one charcoal. Now I can boil water. I got some food, too, but have been fed much of the time I've been here, so haven't cooked much other than tea & eaten some mangoes & bananas. There are 5 teachers who live on my campus. The two who live in my duplex, one other guy who lives near the dorms, and a woman who has a family on campus. Campus is in a field with no village to speak of since we're so close to town. The kids left for vacation last week, so it's basically deserted. I'll be spending a lot of time in town, I guess. Hopefully not spending a lot of money though! Oh, yes, I have electricity, too. It's a nice set up & many PC friends are jealous. All of the amenities in the world don't make up for the lack of nearby companions, though. I'd give up much of it to have a PC roommate (yes, roommate - I know!). All in all things are going well, but it is going to take some time to feel like home. I ordered some furniture for clothes, books, and kitchen stuff. Once that comes (tomorrow??) I'll be able to start unpacking and decorating a bit. Feel free to send house warming gifts!!! Anything you have duplicates of in your kitchens, etc, that you want to get rid of would be welcome in TZ.