Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Books

Anyone who knows me at all, knows I love to read. This is especially important as I head off to a land where TVs, internet, & other typical U.S. entertainments are hard to come by! That being said, I'll be packing books to take with me. Soon, I'll post a list of what I packed to take with me to TZ for 2 years, but as for books, I'm currently planning on taking Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Relin; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver; Twilight by Stephanie Meyer; New Moon by Stephanie Meyer; and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I hope to be able to pack all of these & maybe a few more, but weight restrictions may require me to pull a few out & have them sent to me later.

What can you send me? LETTERS & BOOKS!!

Here are some authors I've read & books I'd like to have if anyone wants to send some!

1) I've read most of Jodi Picoult's books, but still have not read Mercy or Second Glance. Also, she tends to come out with a new book every year, so feel free to send any new ones!

2) Khaled Hosseini - I read both The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns, but if he comes out with another one, feel free to send it! Also, if you enjoyed those books & have others you think I'd like, send them.

3) I've had The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch on my list to read for over a year, but sort of forgot about it. As he died recently, I was reminded of his book & am interested in reading it.

4) I've read most of Chris Bohjalian's books, but haven't read Idyll Banter: Weekly Excursions to a Very Small Town. He seems to publish about once a year, so new books by him would be appreciated.

5) I've just recently discovered Barbara Kingsolver. I read The Poisonwood Bible over the summer & am taking Animal, Vegetable, Miracle with me. However, she has a long list of fiction books that I'm sure I would enjoy. I believe she might have another nonfiction book, or two. Anything by her would be great.

6) I've also started reading Sophie Kinsella, but haven't read any of the books she's most famous for - the Shopaholic books. I've read The Undomestic Goddess, Can You Keep A Secret? & Remember Me?, but she has a ton more that would make good reads.

7) Many of my students were reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer last year. A friend of mine recently gave them her highest recommendation, so I purchased the first two in the series to take with me - they're the only two in paperback. However, if the next two in the series, Eclipse & Breaking Dawn come out in paperback, or you don't mind sending a hardback, I'd love to read them. Also, I was told she has another book, The Host, that is a good read.

8) I also have a wishlist on Amazon.com that is mostly books, so that would be a good place to get ideas of books to send. (search for rehenry1@yahoo.com in the wishlist search)

9) Finally, if you have any paperback books or light hardback books that you've enjoyed reading & don't mind parting with, please send them! If I've read them, I can pass them along to other volunteers.