Friday, July 25, 2008

Missing Things

Several people have this habit of telling me things I'll be missing while I'm gone. I hope they're doing it in response to what they'll be missing without me & I try to keep this in mind instead of getting annoyed. For me, though, Peace Corps is not about what I'm leaving behind, but what I'll be gaining. I'd really like to focus on the new experiences & not constantly think about, or be reminded of, what I'm missing. With that said, however, I am aware that I will be missing out on life here at home while I'm off "digging my own well & building my own hut." : ) Here's a list, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, of things I will miss. It is certainly not inclusive & is written so that you all know that I am aware I will be missing things, I'm just trying to not focus on them!

1) My cat, Newton
2) My family
3) My friends
4) Barnes & Noble
5) Choir rehearsals & singing in concerts
6) Driving
7) Air conditioning
8) Using English as my primary means of communication
9) Grey's Anatomy, LOST, Project Runway, The Amazing Race
10) Winter & Snow
11) Trips to Whipple Dam, Spring Break, & WGI Championships
12) Hanging out with my dad
13) Clean, running water
14) Living in a mostly vermin-free environment
15) Pizza
16) Electricity & constant, fast internet access
17) Tutoring my high school students & coaching MathCounts
18) Nieces/nephews birthdays, first days of school, recitals, etc.
19) Privacy
20) Did I mention Newton?